February 16, 2012

A Blue Nighstand

I just loved the shape of this night stand when I found it on Craigslist. I quickly paid the $25 for it and hauled it home. At first, I thought I might leave it the way it was since usually I love the cream color. Although...it's just not in my nature to leave a piece be! There were red and gold specks throughout the finish and I decided that wasn't quite the look I was going for anyway.

BEFORE

It looks like I couldn't wait to get that handle off before I got a picture!

AFTER

The base color is Martha Stewart's Robin's Egg Blue. The glaze is Valspar Translucent Mixing Glaze found at Lowes mixed with Raw Umber craft paint. I spray painted all of the fixtures with a bronze color to give a clean look.

I painted this back in the summer, but just got it finished because I struggled with finding a handle that fit where the previous holes were. I have filled holes, no matter what, ever since. That way, I can decide later if I want a handle or knob. I found this plate to cover the holes and it worked well so I could use a knob.

BEFORE
AFTER

Back before I knew what I was doing... my Mom showed me how to glaze with this piece. I'm so lucky to have her around so that I don't have to learn absolutely everything the hard way! The glaze toned down the blue perfectly and brought out all of the details.



I'm so glad this piece is finished! I am selling this one... hopefully quickly so that I have space for more future projects.


{linked to}
    Organize and Decorate Everything

7 comments:

  1. Looks great!! That would be perfect in a craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this piece! you should check out sue's from the link party, too- it's a very similar piece! yours went in a more masculine direction with the hardware and i love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful piece! The colors are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing nightstand, I love the overall detailing; very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sexy legs! Great color & you did an amazing job on the glazing. Should sell no problem. Thanks for sharing, Dee

    ReplyDelete