August 24, 2011

Rocking Chair Makeover

I found this rocking chair at an antique store a few months ago. I loved the style of it, but that fabric had to go! The 70's look just isn't what I was looking for.
BEFORE
 
AFTER
I decided I want her to sit in the corner of the Master Bedroom where the windows are (which makes for difficult pictures :/). I found this simple geometric pattern that worked perfectly with the curtain fabric!

BEFORE

AFTER
After removing the hundreds of staples (which oddly, I don't mind) I was surprised to reveal the past owner had used a sample of carpet for padding! I used some foam I had on hand and cut it to size. I used the piece of board from before as a template for the foam and fabric. I allowed a few more inches around the edge to fold over when cutting the fabric.


I then layered all three with the front of the fabric face down and the board on top. I began to pull tight on one edge and using a staple gun, secured it with just three staples. I then moved to the opposite side to secure it with three additional staples. Afterward, I moved to the other two sides and repeated this process until finished. This method allows you to get the fabric very taut. I had so much fun working with the staple gun! I screwed the board back in place and am now enjoying a brand new (more comfortable) chair!


I did this project before I had my blog so I apologize for not having pictures of the process! It truly is an easy project to recover a cushion and can make such a huge difference! Hope this inspires you to try a quick furniture makeover with fabric and a staple gun! 

{linking up to}

Somewhat Simple Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

2 comments: